Sunday, December 9, 2012

Allergies

Todays road creatures list is short, but good. A guy driving a toyota at less than 5mph walking his cow down the highway redneck style to get it some exercise waived us on by...

We had planned a short day of riding but it turned into a long one on the way to Lanquin and Semuc Champey. The road was curvier than expected, which made for some excellent sporting, but then it turned into rocks embedded in cement like dirt on a grade of say, sillysteep! We forged ahead through Lanquin to find the road continue to deteriorate until it was two slick raised footwide concrete slabs, that fell away periodically over the cliff, that were edged by loose basketball sized rock filled ruts. It was getting late and if it rained we were going to be in a world of hurt, so we decided to hedge our bets and turn around to stay in Lanquin. We found a great place to setup camp and rest for a trip to the falls in the morning. I'll leave you with this quote from my dad describing following me in the dirt today, that had us laughing so hard we had to stop the bikes to recover... "A minute ago I reached down and scooped up some dirt in my hand and stuffed it into my mouth and eyes so that like with allergies, my body might start to accept it."







No comments:

Post a Comment